Nothing has more of an effect on your recordings than microphone techniques. Microphone selection, placement, and what kind of pre-amp you’re running through is one of the most overlooked, yet crucial, aspects of recording.
Improper microphone techniques cannot be “fixed on the mix”, so you need to get it right in the initial production stage.
If this is the first time your hearing this, or you’ve heard it before but don’t know where to start, this is probably the class for you.
Also, if you’re wondering why your tracks aren’t sounding as great as they could be even after they’ve been mixed and mastered by the best engineers, then this is definitely the class for you.
Course Topics Include:
• Microphone types and characteristics
• Selecting the right microphone for the right situation
• Selecting the best pre-amp
• Frequency response
• The proximity effect
• Polar patterns
• Microphone placement
• Hands-on microphone placement on a recording session.
• Each student will have the opportunity to mic and record a band.
John Karpowich [about the instructor]
Bobby Fernandez [about the instructor]
José “Chilitos” Valenzuela [about the instructor]